Electronics, Batteries & Fluorescent Bulbs
- CDs and DVDs and their cases
- Computer peripherals (monitors, printers, key boards, mice, etc.)
- Inkjet and Toner Cartridges
- Telephones and their accessories (fax machines, answering machines, etc.)
- TVs and their accessories (VCR’s, DVD players, video games consoles, etc.)
adding machines, answering machines, back-up drives, beepers, Blackberries, blood glucometers, blood glucose meters, cables, cable TV boxes, calculators, camcorders, cameras (digital and film), cash registers, CD cases, CD players, CDs, cell phones, central processing units, circuit boards, compact discs, compact disks, computer network equipment, computer peripherals, cords, CPUs, CRT monitors, CRTs, desktop computers, DVD cases, DVD players, DVDs, electronic organizers, external drives, external hard drives, flash drives, floppy discs, floppy disks, Gameboys, hard drives, inkjet cartridges, inkjet printers, iPads, iPhones, iPods, joy sticks, keyboards, laptop computers, laser printers, laser printer cartridges, LCD monitors, LED monitors, mice, modems, monitors, MP3 players, network equipment, Nintendo consoles, Ninetendo DX, organizers, pagers, Palm Pilots, PDAs, printer cartridges, projectors, radios, remote controls, routers, scanners, screens, servers, speakers, stereos, SyQuest drives, thumb drives, toner cartridges, TVs, VCRs, video-game controllers, video game players, Xbox consoles, Wi consoles, Wi controllers, wires, word processors, zip drives
Small appliances with minor electronic components (for example coffee makers). See Appliances.
Electronics are accepted at the Drop-off Center in the Hazardous Materials Recycling area.
Bringing us a medium or large TV, a copier, or other large electronics? We suggest having someone ride along to help unload it–for your safety and the safety of our employees.
FREE or Fee?
|Beginning January 1, 2017
Continuing January 1, 2017
TV/Monitor Fees for Residents of Other Counties and All Businesses*
If your business has more than seven electronic items to recycle, please call 231-348-0640 before bringing your equipment out.
All Console TVs
- Under 19″
- 19-41″ conventional TVs and monitors
- 30-49″ flat screens
- 42″ and up conventional TVs and monitors
- 50″ and up flat screens
It is illegal for businesses to landfill electronics. Please call before delivering electronics for recycling so we can coordinate for easy recording and unloading of your materials. We will provide documentation for your records that you properly recycled your business electronics.
Bits and Pieces
Small electronic items and loose parts can be collected in a box together
Recycle Electronics Right with Emmet County!
As with all your recyclables, you can count on Emmet County Recycling to recycle your electronics right! When you drop off your unwanted electronics at Emmet County Recycling, they are handled by electronics recyclers who use environmentally and ethically sound systems as defined and certified by the e-Steward and/or R2 standards.
This means no irresponsible shipments overseas, no dumping or release of toxic materials to the environment, and no misuse of the equipment. Data is thoroughly erased from anything that will be reused and equipment which is not reusable is deconstructed in the United States. Component parts or materials are bulked for shipment to industry for reuse or recycling into new products.
If you are considering recycling electronics through other systems, ask to see proof of their e-Steward and/or R2 certifications.
- Automobile Batteries
- Household Batteries (including rechargeable)
- Other Batteries
9-volt batteries, AA, AAA, alkaline, automotive batteries, battery back-ups, boat batteries, button cells, C, car batteries, cell phone batteries, D, flashlight batteries, hearing-aid batteries, household batteries, li-ion, lithium-ion batteries, laptop batteries, lead, lead-acid batteries, marine batteries, mercury-containing batteries, NiCad, nickel-cadmium, NIMH, Nickel metal hydride, rechargable batteries, smoke detector batteries, vehicle batteries, zinc batteries
We’ve never come across a battery we can’t recycle, but call ahead 231-348-0640 if you have something very unusual.
Batteries —both household and vehicle types—are accepted at the Drop-off Center in the Hazardous Materials Recycling area.
Household batteries can also be dropped off during business hours at the following retailers:
- in Alanson at W.W. Fairbairn & Sons
- in Harbor Springs at Meyer Ace Hardware and Preston Feather Building Center
- in Pellston at Cook’s Hardware
- in Petoskey at Meyer Ace Hardware and Radio Shack
- Accepted FREE from households. Businesses (including landlords), institutions and organizations, please call 231-348-0640 for fee information.
- IMPORTANT: AVOID FIRES!
While rare, there have been reports of certain batteries catching fire. To prevent a fire in your home, garage or business, before storing or transporting batteries for recycling,
please tape over the + and – ends of your
1) Lithium and Lithium Ion batteries, and
2) all batteries 9V (the rectangular ones often used in smoke detectors) or greater,
per United States Department of Transportation requirements. You can use clear, electrical, duct or masking tape.
- RECALLED BATTERIES
Emmet County can not recycle recalled batteries (i.e. hoverboard, Galaxy S7), but can accept them by appointment on Household Chemical Drop-off Days. Follow manufacturer instructions for their storage and transport. At a minimum, cover the terminals or connecting wires thoroughly with electric tape.
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs (technically called “lamps”) only
4-foot bulbs, 8-foot bulbs, CFLs, circle fluorescent bulbs, compact fluorescent bulbs, U-shaped fluorescent bulbs
- NO Halogen light bulbs
- NO Incandescent light bulbs
Fluorescent bulbs are accepted at the Drop-off Center in the Hazardous Materials Recycling area.
- Fluorescent light bulbs are accepted for recycling because they contain mercury (a very potent neurotoxin and environmental pollutant).
- Avoid breaking the bulbs. The mercury inside the tube can escape when the bulb is broken.
- Accepted FREE from households. Businesses (including landlords), institutions and organizations please call 231-348-0640 for rate and packing information.