What’s even better than composting food scraps? REDUCING food waste!
Cut Your Waste and Achieve Your Sustainability Goals
Food and floral scraps collection service for businesses in the Petoskey and Harbor Springs areas is offered by Emmet County Recycling. While restaurants are the majority of our customers, florists, grocery stores, and senior living communities also use the service. The food scraps are combined with yard waste to make compost at Emmet County’s composting facility.
A couple of quick statistics suggest why wasted food is gaining the spotlight nationally:
- 30-40% of the food grown in the United States is wasted. Only a tiny portion of this is the inevitable inedible trimmings–bones, citrus peels, lettuce stubs and the like. Good food is lost every step of the way from farm to fork: on the farm, in transport, in processing, at retail, in restaurants, and at home.
- Food “waste” is 21% of the material going into landfills in the United States. In fact food is the largest component of discards by weight.
Complete the Loop: Emmet County’s Homegrown Compost, called “black gold” by many local landscapers and gardeners, is independently tested for quality and can be purchased at the Pleasantview Road Drop-off Center.
- Collections Days: Tuesdays, Fridays, or both
- Cost: A one-time annual participation fee of $50; $8 per cart, per pick up
- Learn how this can work for your business! Call 231-348-0640 or email [email protected]
Participating Restaurants and Florists:
City Park Grill
Emmet County Recycling Drop-off Center
Emmet County Building
Emmet County Planning & Zoning
The Friendship Center & Council on Aging
Gurney’s Bottle Shop
The Grain Train
The Grain Train Market Cafe
Harbor Springs Farmer’s Market
Harbor Springs IGA
Harbor Watch Condos
Iron Horse Cafe at North Central Michigan College
LTBB Gov’t Center & Natural Resources Dept.
Manna Food Project
Monarch Garden and Floral Design
My Sister’s Bake Shop
The New York Restaurant
Petoskey Bay View Country Club
Petoskey Children’s Nature Preschool
Petoskey Farmer’s Market
Pontius Flower Shop
Roast and Toast
Stafford’s Bay View Inn
Stafford’s Perry Hotel
The Back Lot
Tom’s Mom’s Cookies
Resources for Participating Restaurants
Be in Touch!
We are eager to hear from participating restaurants and florists about your experience separating your food scraps for composting! Whether compliments, observations, concerns or criticisms, please contact us anytime at:
[email protected] or 231-348-0640.
Need more signs, labels, handouts, etc? Here are full-color PDFs:
The Bigger Picture
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, there are six methods of addressing wasted food, as shown in the pyramid above. There are lots of great resources on the web if you’d like to learn what you can do .