- Large Appliances
- Small Metal Appliances
- Air Conditioners, Refrigerators and other refrigerant appliances
Large metal appliances
For example: dryers, freezers, furnaces, ovens, ranges, refrigerators, stoves, wall ovens, washers, water heaters, washing machines, dishwashers (metal tub)
For example: dishwashers (plastic tub)
Large appliances are accepted at the Drop-off Center in the Bulky Materials Recycling area. Have your load checked by the attendant before unloading.
- There is a $5 per item handling fee for large appliance
- Refrigerators and freezers must have the refrigerant (“freon”) removed and tagged by a licensed individual. If you bring a full sized refrigerator or freezer in without a tag, we charge $25 to provide this service for you.
- Air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and mini-fridges must have the refrigerant (freon) removed and tagged by a licensed individual. We charge $15 for smaller refrigerant-containing appliances.
Recycle Small Metal Appliances
- Small appliances primarily made of METAL go on the Scrap Metal pile at the Drop-off Center.
- Small appliances primarily made of PLASTIC are no longer recyclable. (We know. We are disappointed too. We hope to find a new market for them some day.)
For example: blenders, bread machines, bread makers, curling irons, dehumidifiers, drills, holiday lights (strings of), irons, microwave ovens, mixers, power tools, projectors, radiant space heaters, shredders, toaster ovens, typewriters
- Please throw away removable parts not made of metal (i.e blender pitchers, microwaves turntables, power-tool cases).
- Electronics are collected separately. Click here for more information on recycling electronics.
Small metal appliances are accepted at the Drop-off Center.
- There is no charge to drop off small metal appliances at the Pleasantview Road Drop-off Center.
- A refrigerant-management fee applies to air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and mini fridges. See below.
NOTE: DO YOU QUALIFY FOR A REBATE AND COLLECTION SERVICE?
As part of their efforts to conserve energy, some of the area’s electricity providers offer rebates for recycling working older refrigerators, freezers, and/or air conditioners. Often they will even pick up from your home! Call your electricity provider for information.
WHAT DOES EMMET COUNTY RECYCLING ACCEPT:
- Beverage Coolers
- Air Conditioners
At the Drop-off Center on Pleasantview Road.
Fee: If your item is not already tagged by a certified technician who has removed the refrigerant–as required law before recycling or disposal–there is a fee:
- Refrigerators, freezers $25
- Air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and mini fridges, $15
We contract with a certified technician to come out and remove the refrigerant from/confirm the lack of refrigerant in a bunch of appliances at once and tag them all. We provide this service because, individually, it is very expensive and difficult to schedule an appointment with a certified refrigeration tech to have your appliance tagged. This is an important step which protects the ozone layer and is key to slowing or reversing climate change.