Waste Disposal (aka Garbage, Trash or Rubbish)
The Emmet County solid waste Transfer Station is a central place to take garbage to be loaded into semis for the trip to the landfill. Garbage from the Transfer Station is buried at Republic Waste Services’ landfill in Presque Isle County.
7363 Pleasantview Road
231-348-0640 / 231-526-2031 x3
Hours and Holidays
We are open:
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays
We are closed Sundays and the following holidays:
New Year’s Day
Prices (not a complete list):
Call 231-526-2031 ext. 3 to discuss your load with a Waste Transfer Station Attendant.
|Garbage, bagged||$2.50/30 gl bag|
|Garbage, loose||$16.00/cubic yard|
|Mechanically compacted and tipped||$26.00/cubic yard; plus fuel surcharge|
|Garbage, non-compactable||$29.00/cubic yard, plus fuel surcharge|
|Construction Scraps||$29.00/cubic yard, plus fuel surcharge|
|Demolition Debris||$29.00/cubic yard, plus fuel surcharge|
|Furniture, Carpet, Rugs*||$29.00/cubic yard, plus fuel surcharge|
*If your furnishings are worn but serviceable (think “first apartment” or “hunting camp”), we suggest reusing it by
- selling it via the classified ads or Craig’s List or
- donating it one of the many local charity resale shops.
However, to prevent illegal dumping, the DPW subsidizes disposal of worn-out upholstered furniture. Actual costs to handle, haul and landfill these items would be as follows: Large chair $36, Sofa $58, Sleeper Sofa $72.
What We Can Take:
Day-to-day or downright weird, you can probably throw it away at the Transfer Station. Just for fun, here are some examples:
- a bag of garbage
- a fiberglass boat
- the junk pile from a remodeling project
- a tired old sofa
- a giant, stuffed, toy gorilla
- a burn barrel
- there are a few exceptions…
What We CAN’T Take:
- Hazardous materials – See our Household Chemical Drop-off for information on disposing of chemicals from your home or business.
- Medical waste from clinics and businesses – Call 231-348-0640 for information on disposing of needles from home use.
- Tires – Whole tires are banned from Michigan landfills.
- Yard Waste – Yard waste less than 4 feet in length and 2 inches in diameter is banned from Michigan landfills. For information on our compost drop-off or composting it at home, see our Composting page.
Emmet County households and businesses subscribe directly with private waste haulers for garbage collection service. Three haulers provide these services at this time. All of them offer both rolling carts and bargain bag service. The haulers’ bags–with the cost of collection service included in their price–are sold at many local grocery, discount and convenience stores. Ask about bags at the register.
Little Traverse Disposal (Harbor Springs based)
American Waste (Kalkaska based)
Waste Management, Inc. (Houston, Texas based)